Wherever possible, we aim to keep school open. However, there are times when, for the safety of children and staff within school and travelling to school, we have to make the decision to close the school. The information below will give an insight into what we will do when we have to make that decision and when and how we will communicate it.
Heavy snowfall overnight may result in access to the school being restricted or may stop children, parents/carers and staff from getting to school safely. If these conditions apply, the following steps will be taken:
In the event that poor local road conditions result in pupils or staff taking a longer time to arrive at school, the Headteacher may decide to open the school later or extend the time for registration so that everyone can get to school safely. If the decision for opening later is agreed, the following steps will be taken:
In the event of a heavy snowfall and/or there is a significant deterioration in local conditions occurring during the school day, so that the return home may become unsafe, then the Headteacher may decide to close the school early. In this instance, parents will be requested to collect their children from school as soon as they can. Children can be collected by friends as long as the school is informed. In the event of early closure, no after-school clubs will take place. We understand that this may cause some difficulties but the safety of children and staff is paramount.
The following procedures will be followed:
After a closure/ early finish, any decision about whether the school will be open the following day will be taken as early as possible. If the forecast is for more issues overnight, the decision may well be taken in the afternoon rather than waiting for the next morning, to allow parents/ carers more time to make suitable arrangements.
In all instances of closure, the Headteacher will be in contact with other local Headteachers.